Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Does Salesconx Really Work?

Since launching this past fall, many of my former sales and marketing colleagues have asked me ‘does Salesconx really work?’ Despite my conviction the ability to prove my theory of Salesconx was a bit limited.

Meet Nat Silverman. Nat is a telecommunications sales rep in NYC selling for nearly 20 years. Though Nat is typically limited to selling a single product line (a T1 line or telco equipment) Nat has a wealth of experience in telecommunications and general IT services.

“I realized that there were better opportunities for me to make money by leveraging my network,” Silverman said. “I am always trying to play the role of business consultant to my clients, advising them on services outside my company’s service portfolio.”

Silverman did what ever good sales person is supposed to do – he listened to his customer. He asked questions about what additional products or services his contacts were interested in, these products ranged from marketing materials to web services to telephone equipment. In understanding the immense value of these conversations, of these opportunities, Nat was able to make over $1,700 dollars in a few short weeks by listing his customers requirements on Salesconx.

After his first post was quickly sold, he posted a few more and watched the bids roll in. After a week of posting “Connections for Sale” on the site, he was over $1,700 richer - but he wasn't the only one benefiting. According to Nat, “Of course I’m making money and building my network and repertoire, which is important as a business consultant. But equally important, I’m making my clients happy by introducing them to people that they want to work with.”

We are always told that listening to our customer is a key to making a sale – it couldn’t be more true.

No comments: